Monday 8 October 2012

Union Jack

More than 15 years ago, the union jack was lowered for the last time in Hong Kong, folded up and taken back to Britain by Chris Pattern and Prince Charles.



So it is rather a surprise to find it still being 'hoisted' all over Hong Kong by the locals.    In fact the union jack currently seems to be a fashionable symbol here.    Once you are alert to this, you see it everywhere.   So I sometimes try to count how many I can spot in a given location or time period.


16-Sep.   Ladies market Mong Kok.  7 union jack t-shirts in 1 hour.  I managed to photograph 3.




And one striking window display.

29-Sep:

Outside the Post Office

Kowloon station.

Along the Peak circuit

At the Peak Lookout

30-Oct  Avenue of Stars

Pacific Coffee Nathan Road

Wan Chai

1-Oct   China National Day

Discovery Bay Beach.  2 (out of a few hundred people)


Dinner Cruise.  2 (out of about 200 people)


3-Oct   From bus into work

7-Oct  Parkview Charity Bazar

and Harbour City Muji


I don't know what, if anything, this signifies (apart from how nerdy I can be).   Probably just a post-Olympics 'cool britania' fashion trend.   But I suspect it also speaks of some affection for the UK and its institutions.   And perhaps even some reaction or wariness against domination by the Communist mainland - I never see the chinese red star  being worn in the same way for example!    Having said that, Im sure most locals are very proud to be Chinese and express this in many ways that are less obvious to me.    



Postscript:  Jan 2013

Im still seeing lots of union jacks around Hong Kong on a wide range of goods.  


Union Jack purses and bags

Union Jack I-phone cover
Union Jack Smeg fridge



No comments: